Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Cycling Tip: Christmas Gifts for the Cyclist

When I purchased my road bike it took me about one week to figure out I didn't have everything that I needed to ride safely and comfortably. Everyone should already have a helmet, bike shorts, shoes, jerseys, and gloves. Below is a list of essentials I have needed along the way:

Glasses - Sometimes we forget about glasses which are not only useful for blocking out the sun, but for deflecting all of those insects along the way.

Pedal wrench - takes those pedals off wonderfully for whenever you need to pack your bike or switch pedals between bikes.

Cleaning brushes - these were so helpful after my trip to the sandy areas around Charleston, South Carolina.

Boot material - ok, you can use dollar bills or wrappers when you have a large hole in your tire, but you can also buy some. I chop up old tires to use as my boot material.

Air pump - some people like the compactness of compressed air, but you can't carry the canisters on airlines. Also, they are a one shot deal, so if you mess up - oops!

Dry lube - useful during the winter when liquid lube tends to freeze.

What do cyclists usually have enough of? water bottles

What are great small gifts? cycling socks, gloves, winter caps/leg and arm warmers/shoe covers, sport beans/gels/drink mixes, handlebar bell, reflective gear/lights, Road ID bracelet, extra tubes

What are great big gifts? camelbak, headlights, bike trainer, Garmin Edge GPS unit, helmet, jacket/jersey/pants/shoes, pedals, and of course another bike.

Happy Shopping!!!

No comments: